Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Rotarians Are Coming

As (almost) always, the morning today was excellent. I got to sleep in until 8:30am (which is sleeping in when you go to bed at 11:30), and I relaxed, read a book and played guitar.

After this, we picked up Suzie, Dave and Doug at the airport, the first three Rotarians to arrive! They were, understandably, a bit jet-lagged, and so we took them to the Hotel Himalaya where they hung out for the rest of the day.

From The Rotarians Are Coming


After this, we were scheduled to visit DNC, but on the way, we stopped at a Bakery Cafe for some lunch. The Bakery Cafe is a great place, with great food and a 'young' atmosphere. It is also a wonderful place to hear some classic Western pop music, although it gets a bit weird here and there. Today I was treated to a very long techno remix of "Killing Me Softly," as well as a techno/rap/remix/medley of "Kung Fu Fighting" and "I Get Knocked Down" among others.

They also had the following sign on the table where we were eating:

From The Rotarians Are Coming


mania |ˈmānēə|
noun
mental illness marked by periods of great excitement, euphoria, delusions, and overactivity.

Well, they certainly don't seem to exaggerating the name Momo Mania with events like beer and coke drinking contests and momo eating contests. I would imagine all the caffeine from the coke one would ingest would result in a high degree of excitement and overactivity, all the beer one would drink and all the momos one would eat would take care of the 'delusions' and the 'illness' part of 'mental illness.' Also, though I cannot make momos, I imagine it's a rather intensive process with one's hands, so that'd also take care of overactivity. This sounds like an amazing festival to attend, but not necessarily to partake in. I'd rather not contract diabetes, alcohol poisoning, obesity and carpal tunnel syndrome in one fell swoop.

We had a nice visit at DNC, and I'm going to look into getting their guitar fixed up a bit more, because as it is, it's still not very good, and I'm sure some of the kids would really enjoy it.

After that, I went out to dinner with Emily at Fire and Ice, and we walked around Thamel and hung out with some of her friends, all of whom are very cool and easygoing. I hope I get to see them again soon.

Well, that's about it! Very few photos today, but we're visiting a village tomorrow with the Rotarians that are present, and that's sure to present many a photographic opportunity.

-Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment