Saturday, February 21, 2009

Return to Kathmandu

As I might have predicted, our trip to Dhulikhel was not blessed with internet access, and so, as we've returned to Kathmandu, I'm faced with a backlog of information and pictures to post. I'll do so one day at a time.

Also, please do your best to forgive any typos. I will proofread, but it's about 12:15am (the lights came on at 12am) and I wanted to get a head start on uploading these photos.

Also, I spent such a vast amount of time photographing that these posts will be short on writing but complete with copious photographs.

Day 1 to Dhulikhel

Our trip started out well enough, with the usual minor chaos associated with organizing people in any way in a foreign country. We were headed to Dhulikhel, and first stop on our trip was HRDC Hospital.

HRDC Hospital (I don't know what HRDC stands for...sorry) is a hospital and rehabilitation center for children and individuals with physical disabilities. They perform corrective surgeries, and many children from DNC have been sent there to have operations funded by TRIFC and Rotary over the years.

HRDC has a wonderful positive feel about it. One can tell easily from this positive energy that lives change here. Many children who crawl in to HRDC are able to walk out under their own power.

After HRDC, we visited the Kavre School for the Deaf nearby, which was the location for the next day's program. That will be covered in a subsequent post.

Lunch that day, while delicious, was unsurprisingly a source of delay. It seems standard fare throughout Nepal for restaurants to be slightly understaffed and ill-equipped to deal with teams of hungry Rotarians, but I suppose we don't constitute their usual target market.

After this, we returned to the hotel and had some down time, during which I wished I had brought my guitar instead of leaving it, and then we had a wonderful dinner, and everyone turned in around 9pm so that they could see the sunrise in the morning. Photos of this to follow in the next post as well.

Dhulikhel Day 1: HRDC Hospital


Also, I have more pictures showing members of the group doing random things, but they're not that interesting as, well, pictures. But if any of you readers are interested in seeing those, just let me know. The next post with the Kavre School has more photos that include the team.

-Carey

1 comment:

  1. Great mission bro.I'm wondering how Rotarian make living from what they are doing?I'm a little bit confuse here.Also,I would very happy if you could upload the mountains photo.Like to hear more from your journey soon.

    ReplyDelete