Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Jam in Nepal

I think most of our day today is well summed up in the photos I've uploaded. So here:

Durbar Square Sightseeing and DNC


The portion of my day that was not copiously photo-documented was quite good indeed. Sachin (I'll check on spelling) picked me up after dinner, and we rode his motorcycle over to his house to pick up a keyboard, and then road from his house back to Durbar Square and had a jam session with a bunch of his friends. He's a member of the Nepali Blues Society, and they play lots of different blues and fusion, and Sachin also plays a lot of alternative rock on his own.

I've already described how it was riding on a motorcycle through Kathmandu, so I'll say no more besides the fact that it was equally exhilarating the second time around.

As for the music, they seemed to like me well enough. I played the keyboard along with them for a few songs, and also picked up a guitar and played for them as well. They want me to come back and jam tomorrow night, and also jam on Friday and maybe perform with them at some restaurant. Unfortunately, I won't be able to jam on Friday (the only night with electricity at Sachin's place, the home of a drumset) but that's alright, I'm sure tomorrow will be fun.

The group consists of several people who play guitar, two singers, a bassist, and a drummer who plays the tabla drums (and is amazing). So. I am, understandably, pretty psyched. Not that I mind hanging out with dad and all the Rotary people, but it's nice to find some young(er) people to hang out with, and people with whom I have something in common.

'Til next time (which will probably be tomorrow),

-Carey

4 comments:

  1. hahaha I love that everywhere you go, you manage to find some people to jam with :)
    sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carey!
    The blues thing is really cool! Mike laughed when I told him you were playing with someone from the Nepali Blues Society! I would love to hear some of their stuff.....the blues I heard from a Polish blues band was different but still awesome! Do they know any old favs like "Mustang Sally" or "Stormy Monday" or the ever popular "Poodle Song"....no, wait...never mind that last one! Anyway, its very cool! And, just thought you'd like to know, we had a few tornadoes here yesterday....pretty bad in the southern part of the state but one passed by here just a few miles.....destroyed the Chucky Cheese on the Expressway. I didn't even hear the siren the first time....gotta pay more attention! Take care! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carey plays good drum and piano...we had fun playing blues music with him...

    ReplyDelete
  4. BluesSocietyofNepalJuly 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM

    Hi Carey,

    It was fun playing with you! We still carry on playing at the Ambience Restaurant at Patan Durbar Square. A few days ago we played at one of Restaurants at Thamel, North Palace. We have our web site now. Though still under construction, you can go through... nepalblues.org.np

    Hope to have you back here and have a jamn together.

    Note: We are "Blues Society of Nepal", not "Nepali Blues Society"

    ReplyDelete