Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Essentials… When packing

from HelloTxt

The Essentials… When packing my carry-on’s for a long flight I have a methodical (some would say maniacal) process whereby I try to plan and prepare for any eventuality. As you probably know, on most international flights you are allowed two items- a size/space-approved hand-carry bag and a computer bag. Of course I have my travel pillow. It’s a new and improved design that stores neatly and blows up to resemble a huge blue shrimp!

Then there are the mandatory eye-shades and ear-plugs (the industrial-strength ones capable of silencing the piercing shrieks of a two year-old sitting right next to you!). I also have my own headphones so I don’t have to wait for the standard ones to be passed out.

Here are some other items I bring that maybe aren’t on the ‘usual’ packing lists:
• One regulation ping-pong paddle with spare balls (you never know where a game might pop up) and I don’t want my valued paddle damaged in my checked luggage!
• 24- Granola Bars (there wasn’t room for these in my checked luggage)
• My own concoction of ‘trail-mix’ with peanuts, raisins. m&m’s, yogurt covered raisins, pretzels and craisins (sweet cranberries). I ate my allotment of these during the first hours of my flight from Seattle to Seoul!
• Carpal-tunnel wrist braces to keep my hands from falling asleep when I snooze.
• Eye drops and Saline Nasal Spray for those super-dry plane flights.
• One regulation Nepali language phrasebook and Nepali letters flash cards.
• Battery powered computer speakers for those times when the power is out in Nepal (which is about 14 hours a day!).
• Vitamins and medicines for my trip Geez, you’d think I was preparing for an Everest climb, there’s such a wide selection stuff!

It’s kind-of a strange collection, but when I’m going to be away from home for a while, I like to bring some reminders of home and my life there. What ‘unusual’ items do you bring on your long trips?

No comments:

Post a Comment