Saturday, March 14, 2009

Odds and Ends

From The Humble Taxi, and Good Times


The humble Maruti 800 is as ubiquitous in Kathmandu as Starbucks cups are in Seattle. They also, I'd wager, match up nicely in regards to build quality / sturdiness.

The Maruti 800 has been manufactured since the mid 1980s (still manufactured today), and has remained largely unchanged since that time. Each is equipped with an 0.8 liter 3-cylinder engine that puts out 37 horsepower, although with the average cab driver's propensity for lugging the little engine, most probably see around 15 horses at any given time.

The best way I can think of to describe this vehicle to the average American is as a Geo Metro 'Lite.' Its diminutive exterior dimensions hide away a remarkable ability to comfortably seat four adults (and uncomfortably seat many more). The interior of most cabs lacks carpeting, and they all share a similar aversion to proper idle (or idling at all) and also exhibit rather intrusive and troubling transmission noise.

Also, it seems that a cab driver's worth is largely measured in gauche, gaudy and inaccurate decals that coat the vehicle both inside and out. Many are harmless - a mural of a cheetah chasing its prey running across both doors, or perhaps the understated (and hilariously false) "Sports" running a similar span in loopy lettering. However, every so often, you'll find large '4WD' and 'Toyota' stickers adorning the cabs as well, which seems silly. It's rather like tattooing a six-pack over your beer gut.

I think it's fairly remarkable that most of them are still running. My only explanation for this is some sort of voodoo / black magic, or perhaps they've simply been modified to run on dirt.

If they could sufficiently woo the government, some combination of Maruti 800, Kathmandu traffic and the highway to Pokhara would make an excellent episode of Top Gear.

/end taxi story

As I mentioned previously, the guitar at DNC is of the brand 'Happy.' It made me even more UNhappy today when I was playing it normally and one of the brand new strings snapped. *sigh*

Last night, I had a jam session to prepare for a band performance tonight at a restaurant. After the jam session, Sachin asked if I wanted a beer or a glass of wine, so I said yes, and we crossed the street to Chopstix. We had a fantastic time, though, mostly discussing the ins and outs of Nepali and American culture.

My dad and I and a wonderful man named Michael (who helps support DNC as well) had lunch with Shanti at her home. Shanti acts as surrogate mother for the 30-odd children at DNC, and lives there 6 days out of the week, and rarely gets a moment's peace. She is a truly remarkable woman with a heart of pure gold. And the lunch was delicious as well.

I performed with Sachin and the rest of the Nepali Blues Society at the Ambience restaurant in Patan Durbar Square. It was a ton of fun! I posted a couple of pictures.

Well, I'm exhausted from my lack of sleep last night due to drunken escapades, and shall now go to bed.

The Humble Taxi, and Good Times


-Carey

1 comment:

  1. I love it!! Good company, food, music and beer! What else does anyone need! (Note that food ranks high in the ranked list {:> ) Oh well, I miss Carlsberg, Tuborg, San Miguel and Nepal and Everest Ice!!!

    ReplyDelete