Monday, March 2, 2009

Another Double Dose

Due in no small part to my own desire to get a good night’s sleep two nights ago, I decided not to update the blog. This, of course, was folly, and now I have twice as many photos to upload and the electricity did not come on at midnight as I have hoped, and I am now hopelessly behind.

Anywho. On to the last few days of programs.

Two days ago, many of the Rotarians attended a polio immunization day, but that’s about all I can say about it, because that’s all I know about it. They showed up at the deaf hostel where my dad and I and some Rotaractors were hanging out. This hostel houses perhaps 70 children who are all hearing impaired.

There’s something I’ve noticed about children with hearing impairment. Not only are they generally quieter (I suppose that’s for obvious reasons), but they seem more mature for their age, and generally more mild-mannered. And I know this isn’t due to a lack of communication, because I’ve visited other schools here with children both with physical disabilities and without, and even the children there that don’t speak English and cannot communicate with me are tangibly different than the children with hearing impairment. I also feel a slight pull to perhaps pursue sign language. It’s somewhat fascinating.

We got a lovely tour of the facility, and many Nepali sign language lessons, which made for an amusing picture or two, mostly at Dave’s expense.

When we came to the deaf hostel, we had no real program planned, but luckily, things worked out. There are children living there who have sponsors back home, so those that have sponsors wrote letters to them and were photographed. Those who aren’t sponsored generally amused themselves, but every child was treated to a nice box lunch, and some new sporting equipment. We bought them a badminton set, ping pong paddles and balls, and a few soccer (foot) balls, and the children all had a great time. We also handed out many a beanie baby and gift bag.

Afterwards, the Rotarians went to Fire and Ice for dinner, and my dad and Gina and I attended dinner at Dhruba Acharya’s, a friend of my dad’s.
Deaf Hostel Visit


Yesterday's program was placed entirely in the capable hands of Judy Ginn. We attended Durbar School, which is Kathmandu’s oldest school, established in 1854. Judy’s not-so-easy job was to teach the children to make an ABC book for Nepal (A is for Apple, B is for Bee, etc etc). Luckily, we had a team of Rotaractors to help translate and brainstorm, but somehow, we still ended up with J for Jesus Christ. Not to bash Mr. Christ, but he and his followers aren't exactly prevalent in Nepal, and are thus not the first subjects to LEAP to my mind when I think of Nepal.

My dad’s main job during this time was to film all of the pen pal children, and I’m sure my impending job will be to edit and compile that into a video to show to the kids back home.

Following the Durbar School visit, we visited Bhoudanath Stupa, which is the largest Stupa in Nepal, which is saying something. The photos will have to tell the story with this one. We ate lunch at a restaurant called Flavor’s, owned and operated by a friend of my dad’s. He also employees little people as wait staff, and is an avid proponent for those with disabilities. And the food is good, the coffee amazing, and there’s free wi-fi. So naturally, he’s doing quite well (especially with tourists) and is opening up more restaurants.
Durbar Pen Pals and Bhoudanath


The Rotarians continued their sightseeing around Bhoudanath, but my Dad and I went to Independent Living Center, which is a center for children and people with severe developmental disabilities. It’s headed up by Rolf and Monique, who are also actively involved in the deaf hostel we visited yesterday as well as DNC, and there’s some potential for partnership there.

Tonight, we had a nice relaxing dinner at home, and everyone else watched a Hindi movie while I tried to fix my email client, which ruined my mood almost too effectively. Oh well. I’ll recover.

-Carey

P.S. - Again, another shameless plug for my flickr page, which has a few shots that are mostly irrelevant here, but still should be nice to look at.

www.flickr.com/photos/carey_rose

No comments:

Post a Comment