Saturday, February 7, 2009

Some more thoughts, and brief news updates.

Greetings!

Brief update on the electricity situation:

RR Pandey: They are increasing power...
Rob Rose: Hey, that’s great!
RR Pandey: ...outages...

Apparently, one area wants electricity for 24 hours, or they won’t produce any electricity. So, we’re now up to 16 hours per day without electricity.

Although I may be the only person interested, it recently occurred to me that Nepal is the perfect candidate for demonstrating both positive and negative aspects of the diesel engine, which is largely absent from cars throughout North America.

The positive side is not only do the diesels here get excellent mileage (they have to), they are also terrifyingly rugged, and stand up well to the pressures of the climate, the unhealthy (to put it mildly) driving, and also a probable lack of routine maintenance. Also, while they are slower and more underpowered than your average Geo Metro, I largely view this as a blessing, as I have already grown accustomed to viewing 40 km/h as a frighteningly speedy pace on the once-paved roads in urban Kathmandu.

On the other hand, it is these diesels that are largely responsible for the interminable haze that has settled over the Kathmandu valley, and they are noisy and coarse-running. Mercifully, the three-wheeled, boxy taxis that rattle around and used to run on kerosene (and also used to pour out black smoke toxic enough to kill your average elephant in seconds) have been largely converted to electric power. However, this doesn’t stop the larger buses and diesel vehicles from spewing out black smoke of their own.

So, long story short, I look forward to the clean diesels that car companies are beginning to bring to the United States, as they represent the best of both worlds. It will be nice to someday have normal vehicles topping 60 mpg without the need for impractically heavy battery packs and hideous styling, and I plan to rub this in the face of everyone driving a Prius once that glorious day arrives.

I plan to do a story of some sort on taxis around town, so watch out for that in the future.

I’ve only recently discovered one of the more rarely publicized characteristics of Kathmandu, which is odd considering inescapable nature. City-wide, whether you be indoors or outdoors, most everything is coated with a fine layer of dust. This dust, which I can only assume is highly toxic in nature, is so ubiquitous that it almost blends in with the city’s ambiance, and becomes difficult to notice until you realize that not everything is naturally brown. Leaves are green under it, and walls are clean under it. I've oftentimes touched something and, horrified, realized I'd left a mark when really the mark is just a newly-created absence of the dust which was now transferred to my hand. Hm. I don't think that sentence makes sense.

From A Walk to Druba's (friend of my dad's)


I suspect this dust may not have the most positive influence on my asthma.

I have much news, but it’s not a terribly fascinating read, so I shall sum up in bullet points.

-I’ve been spoiled for breakfast every morning with fantastic oatmeal and /or eggs, toast and coffee or tea.

-My dad’s disability awareness campaign in Nepal has made some real progress. For those who do not know, to be disabled in Nepal is to be on the lowest rung of the social ladder, because everyone views you as deserving your fate due to a past life sin or curse. Of course, disabled individuals can be a valuable addition to society if society allows it, and my dad is working on just that - changing society’s perception of those with disabilities through a social marketing campaign. We have just viewed concept boards for different directions that the campaign may go, and will be attending a meeting on Tuesday to narrow them down.

-It’s difficult to justify spending 1,000 rupees on something, even in spite of the fact that 1,000 rupees is about $12.50.

-Went out to dinner at Chopstix with Rotaractors (young Rotarians) last night. Very neat place, very western...played lots of Jason Mraz, Maroon 5, and that ‘you must not know about me / you must not know what I mean’ song. Also, I shall be jamming with one of them, as he has a small music studio in his house and likes blues and rock. Excellent!

Sorry for the long update. Hope it’s somewhat entertaining!

A Walk to Druba's (friend of my dad's)


-Carey

3 comments:

  1. the you must not know 'bout me song is Beyonce lol. To the left to the left!
    I know you were dying to find out what the song was :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I am in Kathmandu with you thru the blog.
    Please say "hi" to RR and Chandra for me.
    Namaste
    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Namaskar!!
    Rob and Carey!!
    Hope that both of you have a good time in Nepal.
    I am happy to read your blog and get updated about the activities and missing a lot to involve on those activity.

    ReplyDelete